This recipe was born simply out of wanting a salsa to go with some corn chips, and rustling through what ingredients we had. The result was excellent. You can easily leave out the feta, it just makes it a little creamy. You can make the dip as mild or hot as you want with the chillies.
This dip would go well with bread as a starter, or as a side to fish or barbecued chicken.
- 4 capsicums (bell peppers) – I used red, but you could use a mix of colours
- 50g feta (about quarter of a packet) – optional
- Large handful of whole almonds
- 1 tsp capers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Chilli flakes to taste (or Tabasco sauce or fresh chillies – something to add a bit of heat)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the seeds from the peppers and pulse in the blender.
- Throw the rest of the ingredients except the salt in with the peppers into a food processor and blend until it is largely smooth, with a few chunks.
- Taste and add salt as required
Try barbecuing the peppers whole until the skin is blackened. Throw the peppers into a plastic bag to sweet, then remove the skin and seeds. The peppers will now lend the dip a smokey sweet flavour.
Place all ingredients in the blender