This is a New Zealand take on the classic Spanish tortilla or Italian frittata , substituting fried potatoes for the much healthier and tastier boiled kumara (sweet potato).
You need to use a frying pan that can go into an oven, such as a cast iron pan.
- 2 large Spanish onions
- 2 medium kumara (or sweet potato)
- 6 free range eggs
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely dice the onions, and sauté in a cast iron pan for 20 minutes in olive oil until softened and starting to colour. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, quarter the kumara and boil until just cooked. Be careful to not overcook, as you want to be able to slice the kumara without mushing. Slice the kumara 5mm thick and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs together with the basil, 1 tsp of the Parmesan and salt and pepper. Add the kumara and onion (once cooled so as to not cook the egg).
- Poor the mixture back into the cast iron pan and place on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Gently give the pan a bit of a shake then sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Place the pan into a pre-heated oven at 180ºC for 20 minutes.