Savoy cabbages and leeks are currently very fresh and sweet here in New Zealand, and perfect to use in a warm winter salad. To make this vegetarian, leave out the chorizo, and to make vegan also leave out the blue cheese. To be honest this was a throw together the elements I had at home kind of dinner, the basic principle was to combine sweet (leeks and savoy) with salty (blue cheese and olives), nutty (walnuts) and spicy (chorizo).
- Knob of butter (or olive oil)
- 1 large leek, sliced lengthways in half and finely cut
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, outer leaves and core removed, then diced
- 6 cooking chorizo sausage (optional)
- Large handful of black olives, stones removed and roughly chopped
- Large handful of walnuts
- Knob of blue cheese such as Stilton
- Slice up the leeks and place on a low heat in a large pan with the butter, slowly caramalising
- Roughly dice up the cabbage and steam for 3-4 minutes
- Grill the chorizo, then cut into chunks
- Once the leeks start to colour, add the cabbage, chorizo, olives, walnuts and blue cheese, stir through and serve.