This is a recipe I can’t quite remember where I adapted it from but it has evolved over time. I love it so much it made it into the middle tier of my wedding cake. It is a lovely cake that lasts for days (maybe not the cream cheese icing though!).
- 2 c finely grated carrot (I used the food processor as it is much faster)
- 1 1/4 c self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 c olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger (optional)
- Small handful of each – currants, diced apricots and dates, chopped walnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and desicated coconut
- 1/2 c brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 c caster sugar
Beat sugar and oil until smooth, add eggs one at a time until mixture is light, add vanilla essence. Add grated carrots, cinnamon, nutmeg, sifted flour, and baking soda, and a mixture of chopped dried fruit and nuts. Fold until just combined, mixture should look slightly wet. Bake at 180 degrees celcius for 45-50min or until skewer comes out clean.
You can either top with cream cheese icing or normal lemon icing. I like to decorate mine with chopped apricots, pumpkin seeds and coconut.