I was so pleased with how this chutney turned out, I have already started planning to make another batch or two. It may seem a little odd using banana, but it is there to add depth of flavour and help thicken the sauce. I used standard green kiwifruit that were not quite ripe, as unripe fruit has more pectin and also ripe kiwifruit are a bit more messy for peeling and cutting. However, you could easily use yellow kiwifruit or a mixture.
- 1.5 kg green kiwifruit, skinned, halved and cut into semi-circles
- 3 bananas diced
- 4 onions diced
- Juice and zest of 4 lemons
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of white sugar with pectin added (or use white sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- Combine all the ingredients in a preserving pan or large pot and place over a low to medium heat, simmer for an hour until the fruit is soft and the liquid reduces. Stir occasionally to stop the mixture sticking to the bottom.
- Poor into sterilised jars and store.