This is a delicious cold noodle salad, perfect for lunch, which is a great use of leftover grilled aubergine. I love the fusion of east and west in this dish with the sweet and sour.
Soba noodles are a brilliant buckwheet (gluten free) noodle that works well cold in salads.
You can use courgette instead of aubergine, and peach or nectarine instead of mango. Or use all of them in one large salad meddley.
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp castor sugar
- 1 red chilli finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 lime – zest and juice
- 1 medium aubergine, cut into 1cm thick slices (or courgette)
- 1 ripe mango, cut into 2cm cubes (or peach or nectarine)
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 packet of soba noodles
- 1 bunch of coriander (or flat leaf parsley)
- handful of Thai basil (or normal basil)
- 2 Tbsp of sesame seeds (I use unhulled)
- First make the dressing by combining the vinegar, sugar and chilli and slowly heating until the sugar is dissolved
- Take off the heat and add the chilli, garlic, lime and sesame oil
- Barbecue or batch fry the aubergine over a high heat to char the outside, and remove to cool
- In a small pan dry fry the sesame seeds until golden (or place under a hot grill)
- Heat a pot of water until boiling and cook the soba noodles as the packet directs – probably 5 minutes
- Drain and rinse the noodles in cold water
- Combine the noodles, dressing and aubergine in a large bowl, and add the sesame seeds, spring onion, mango and herbs