This is a slight variation on a traditional Thai beef salad, in that everything bar the noodles are cooked on the barbecue. Barbecuing all the vegetables adds extra depth and sweetness to the flavours.
- 2 sirloin steaks
- 1 bunch of bok choi, with the bottoms cut off
- 2 capsicums cut into crescents
- 1 spring onion cut into 2cm tubes
- Bunch of green beans topped and tailed
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, skinned and julienned
- 2 tbsp coriander stems finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemongrass finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 hot chilli thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp grated palm sugar
- Juice and zest of two limes
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 handful of Thai basil leaves
- 1 handful of mint leaves
- 1 handful of coriander leaves
- 1 handful of peanuts or cashew nuts
- 150g vermicelli noodles
- Heat up your barbecue and cook the meat and vegetables. The key is to cook quickly, adding a little char but keeping the vegetables crisp and the meat tender.
- Mix the ingredients in the dressing, tasting and adjusting.
- Soak the vermicelli in boiling water and drain.
- Plate up with a bed of noodles, topped by thinly slice steak, the vegetables and topped with the dressing, herbs and nuts.