Another tasty pudding that is easy enough to whip up. I have made this both by putting the whole mixture into a cake tin or dividing into greased individual ramekins. Both work well. If you want to be slightly healthier, don’t make the toffee sauce, make with wholemeal self raising flour and serve with low fat yogurt.
- 80g dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 100g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 180g self-raising flour, sifted or wholemeal self raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Mix dates and bicarbonate of soda in a heat proof bowl.
- Pour boiling water on top and leave to stand.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale, then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour, stir in the date mixture and pour into a greased 18cm cake tin.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- 150g brown sugar
- 1 cup cream (can use lite cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine sugar, cream, vanilla and butter in a saucepan, bring to the boil while stirring.
- Turn down and simmer for 5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
Cut pudding into wedges and pour hot sauce over. Serve with icecream or whipped cream