This cake is out of Julia Le Clerc’s Made by Hand, a great cookbook I am slowly making my way through. The recipes are healthier than general baking, less use of butter and more gluten free options. Today I did not have any buckwheat flour so instead I used 1/2 cup amaranth flour and 1/2 cup wholemeal flour (note – I was not worried about making it gluten free).
- Olive oil spray
- Tapioca flour for dusting
- 3 small eggs
- 1 cup raw sugar (I used 3/4 cup caster)
- 2tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups grated courgette
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius, spray 22cm bundt tin or ring tin with oil spray and dust with tapioca flour.
- Place eggs, sugar, honey, oil, vanilla in a bowl and beat until mixture is pale. Stir in grated courgette, walnuts and craisins.
- Sift buckwheat, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, baking powder & soda to combine. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 60 – 70 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when testing the centre of the cake.
- Set aside to cool in tin for 30 minutes, then put onto wire rack to cool completely. Cake keeps well for up to 5 days in a container.
In the book, honey cream cheese frosting is used but sometimes I just like to make a dark chocolate icing or leave plain.