These tasty and low fat muffins worked really well as something to pop in your lunch box. They are best eaten within 4 days. This is another recipe from Julia Le Clerc’s Made by Hand. Again I recommend buying this book as it provides healthy baking recipes and some tasty dinners too.
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 free range egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, line 12 hole standard muffin tin with paper cases (they are quite fragile once baked so the cases worked well).
- Place bran, sugar, honey and apple juice in bowl to soak for 5 min. Stir in beaten egg and add dry ingredients. Stir just enough to combine. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon mixture into paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, muffins should be firm and golden brown.